Don’t settle for a shrimp on the barbie: impress your guests with a modern twist on a summer staple
There’s nothing more Australian than prawns at Christmas, but it’s high time for an update to the classic summer staple. In this recipe from Romeo’s IGA, the prawn’s cracker crumb gives a tasty crunch while the dipping sauce is fresh and full of flavour. Perfect for entertaining, this dish can be prepared ahead of time and then popped in the oven just before your guests arrive.
Crumbed Prawns with Lime & Chilli Dipping Sauce
For the prawns
½ pack Fantastic Rice Crackers - sweet chilli & sour cream flavoured, crushed
12 large green prawns, peeled and deveined
¼ cup rice flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
¼ cup shredded coconut
For the sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
½ cup sweet chilli sauce
½ cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place flour and lightly beaten egg separately in two small, shallow dishes.
3. Combine rice cracker crumb and shredded coconut together in another small, shallow dish.
4. Dip each peeled green prawn in flour, egg and crumb mixture until well coated. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
5. For the dipping sauce, combine juice, sweet chilli sauce and coriander together, stirring to combine. Set aside until required.
6. Spray prepared prawns on both sides with oil and place on prepared baking tray.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until prawns are cooked through.
8. Serve crumbed prawns with extra coriander to garnish and the dipping sauce.
Romeo’s IGA at the MLC Centre has you covered this festive season. Pop in to grab all these ingredients and more or, if you’re short on time, try their click and collect or delivery services.
Visit romeosonline.com.au or Level 6, 02 9221 6547.
Recipe is thanks to San Remo.